Tuesday 20 August 2013

Beetroot Chocolate Tea Cake

In my quest to ensure my allergy kids get their daily doses of fruit and veg, I came across the idea of using vegetables in cakes.

Sounds weird, right???

I was sceptical too.

Until I tried this recipe. It creates a moist, rich tea cake that melts in the mouth. Not that my kids noticed that. Al that they cared about was that it was chocolate, and paint. Full stop.

Beetroot and Chocolate Tea Loaf

1 cup of white flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup of unsealed butter or dairy-free margarine, melted
1/2 cup of white sugar
1/2 cup of brown sugar
2 tsp of egg replacement
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbspn white vinegar

1 drained tin of beetroot, finely chopped in food processor


  1. Turn the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease the loaf tin and lightly dust with flour.
  2. Sift the flour, BP, cocoa powder, BS, and salt into a bowl.
  3. Melt butter or dairy alternative and pour into a separate bowl. Mix sugar, egg replacement and vanilla into the butter, whisking until it forms a creamy mixture.
  4. Add white vinegar to the dry ingredients, followed by the butter mixture and the processed beetroot.
  5. Gently fold together until the batter is fully mixed.
  6. Pour into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 38-40 min.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!


0 comments :

Post a Comment

 
Copyright (c) 2010 Homemade in New Zealand . Design by WPThemes Expert
Themes By Buy My Themes .